North Bay Indigenous Hub -Employment Opportunity
EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATORS
CONTRACT- TEMPORARY (COMP #2021-11-26)
Under the direction and supervision of the Child Care Supervisor, the Early Childhood Educator (ECE/RECE) is responsible for the delivery of child centred programs that support early learning and development of children.
The ECE/RECE will engage children to improve the development of the physical, intellectual, social, spiritual and emotional well-being. This includes implementation of the Ministry of Education’s How Does Learning Happen? The ECE/RECE will plan and implement programming within a classroom setting which will enhance children's development that is harmonious with the overall Vision, Mission and Values for the North Bay Indigenous Hub.
Contract duration – one year with possibility of extension. Rate of pay $20/hr.
- Must have a Diploma in Early Childhood Education and be registered with the College of Early Childhood Educators.
- Direct work experience with children and early learning is preferred.
- Knowledge or passion for learning of Indigenous culture, history and ways of being.
- Knowledge of Indigenous language is an asset.
- A clear and recent (within 6 months) Criminal/Police Records Check and Vulnerable Persons Check.
- Proof or willing to obtain certificates of completion for privacy training and occupational health and safety training.
- Current First Aid and CPR with AED.
- Must provide current record of immunization.
- Perform all physical aspects of the position, including frequently moving around, bending, reaching, and lifting.
- Ability to work flexible hours that support operational hours.
- A valid Ontario Class “G” Driver’s License.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of Indigenous wellness and priorities.
- Knowledge of and ability to implement “How Does Learning Happen?” Ontario’s Pedagogy for the Early Years.
- Knowledge of standardized assessment tools and their applications that most appropriately address current First Nation Early Childhood Development
- Knowledge of and ability to effectively implement various early learning models, interventions, and promising practice approaches to address Early Childhood Development.
- Excellent facilitation and coordination skills for groups.
- Skills in program design, development, implementation and evaluation design and measurement which integrates western and traditional practice or approaches.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, problem solving abilities and conflict resolution skills.
- Desire to thoroughly learn or demonstrated understanding of Indigenous history, culture and ways of being.
- Computer experience in Microsoft Office applications.
- Ability to act professionally and work with minimal supervision.
- Providing culturally based early learning and development programs.
- Including critical reflection, collaborative inquiry, recognition of the environment as a teacher and pedagogical recording in the planning, implementation and evaluation of an early learning and development program.
- Providing information to the community on healthy childhood development and learning including information on How Does Learning Happen? Ontario’s Pedagogy for the Early Years.
- Supporting the implementation of emergent play-based curriculum and pedagogical recording.
- Supporting and promoting positive relationships between children and their families.
- Support the school readiness program.
- Collaborating with the team to offer activities such as field trips, community cultural events or activity days.
- Advocating for the interests of the children of the North Bay Indigenous Hub’s Child Care Services.
- Facilitating referrals and coordinating access to screening and assessment services.
- Active team player and contribute towards NBIH Child Care Centre goals and standards.
- Assist with cleaning and sanitization duties.
- Cooperate with break and lunch coverage and openness to support vacation and sick time coverage when necessary.
- Follow and support NBIH Child Care Centre’s curriculum
- Adhere to NBIH reporting guidelines and documentation requirements.
- Communicate regularly with peers, supervisor and families.
POSTING IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED
A current Criminal/Police Records Check and Vulnerable Persons check is a requirement for this position.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a letter of interest, resume and three (3) current references to:
Attention: Jennifer Lalonde, Human Resources Manager
North Bay Indigenous Hub - Giiwedno Mshkikiiwgamig
1040 Brookes Street
North Bay, ON P1B 2N6
T: (705) 995-0060
Miigwech to all who apply. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted
Preference will be given to qualified Indigenous applicants. However, the position is open to all applicants.